Part-Time Summer Position Available
The City of Ely is seeking a part-time summer person to string trim and help with various tasks around the city. Must be able to work Monday – Friday with a flexible schedule and we prefer the candidate be 18 years of age. Please apply at the Ely City Hall, 1570 Rowely Street, Ely, Iowa.
For more information on the position, feel free to call 319-848-4103.
To download an application, please click here.
2017 Water Quality Report for Ely, Iowa
Ely’s water quality report for the year of 2017 is now available. Please view the image below or to download in pdf form, click here.
NOTICE OF INTENT TO FILL VACANCY BY APPOINTMENT
Please be notified that the City Council of the City of Ely, Iowa, has received the following resignation: Elizabeth Rohner, Council Member effective July 10, 2018. The Council has elected to fill the vacancy by appointment, but the electors of the City have the right to file a petition requiring that the vacancy be filled by a special election.
The Council has requested that those interested in being appointed to complete an application which can be found at City Hall and returned to the City Clerk’s office by 5:00 p.m. on June 29, 2018. To download an electronic copy of the application, please click here.
The appointment shall be for the period until the next pending election, as defined by Section 69.12, Code of Iowa, which will be held November of 2019.
The Council will make the appointment to fill the vacancy at its regular meeting which begins at 7:00 on July 9, 2018.
Curbside Limb Pickup Policy
- Brush and limbs will be picked up at your curb by the City of Ely Public Works Department every Monday starting at 8 AM during the months of April – October at no charge.
- All limbs must be cut to a length not to exceed 8 foot and must be less than 6 inches in diameter.
- All limbs must be trimmed of smaller branches.
- All limbs and brush shall be placed by the curb in a neat pile. Please avoid one large pile but rather put in a couple smaller piles for easy hand pickup.
- DO NOT TIE OR BUNDLE BRUSH TOGETHER. Simply place them at the curbside.
- All brush and limbs will be chipped on sight and may leave a small amount of debris, the home owner will be responsible to “sweep” this up occasionally.
- PLEASE DO NOT PLACE LEAVES, GARDEN WASTE, WEEDS OR GRASS CLIPPINGS CURB SIDE THEY WILL NOT BE PICKED UP. These items can be taken to the compost bunker outside of the fence at the sewer plant.
- This service is not intended for the removal of an entire tree but is for trimmings only. If you are removing an entire tree you should arrange to have it removed and hauled away.
- In the case of a wind storm, or an emergency event, this policy may be changed to accommodate the extra material.
- Questions can be directed to city hall at 319-848-4103.
Every two years, the City of Ely staff and Council complete a goal setting session where they reflect on the previous 24 months as a whole, as well as set goals and priorities for the next two years. To view a summary of the 2018 session, click here.
2018-2019 Golf Cart Registration
This is your annual Golf Cart/ATV Permit Registration Reminder!
If your golf cart is already registered, your current permit will expire on March 31, 2018.
Annual registrations are valid April 1 through March 31.
Registration/Renewal Fee $25. City Clerk/City Administrator must inspect the vehicle before issuing or renewing.
To view the City ordinance on Golf Carts, click here.
To download the fillable registration form, click here.
Mayor Eldy’s Letter can be see HERE!
Ely Finds New City Administrator
The City of Ely has hired a new city administrator. Here is a brief background of the city’s newest hire:
Denise Hoy will be welcomed as City Administrator for the City of Ely starting January 1, 2017.
Denise has over 29 years of experience working in local government including City Administrator for the City of Conrad, Iowa. She has served on the Executive Board for the Iowa League of Cities and currently serves on the Governor-appointed State of Iowa City Finance Committee.