Building, Permits, Registration


Building in Ely

As of January 1st 2021, Linn County Building Department will be accepting permit applications for the City of Ely. See below for further details:

Permits applications provided by Linn County to include:
  • Residential Construction: new, additions, remodeling, maintenance, decks, swimming pools, accessory buildings
  • Commercial Construction: new, additions, remodeling, maintenance, accessory buildings
  • Electrical/Solar Permit
  • Plumbing Permit
  • Mechanical Permit
Permit applications provided by the City of Ely to include:
  • New Construction Water Meter Application
  • Right of Way/Driveway & City Sidewalk Permit
  • Fence Permit
  • Flood Plain Permit Application
  • Demolition Permit
  • Sign Permit
Planning & Zoning Applications provided by the City of Ely:
  • Application for Variance and Special Use Permit
  • Special Exemption Permit Application
  • Application for appeals
  • Application for rezoning
  • Application for Conditional Use Permit
  • Application for Revised Site Development Plan
Miscellaneous Permits/Registrations provided by the City of Ely:
  • Urban Chicken Permit
    • Interested in having an urban chicken coop on your property? If so, you must apply for a permit through the City and follow specific regulations.
  • Golf Cart/ATV Registration
    • To register or renew a ATV/golf cart permit: drop off the completed form and a copy of the current insurance coverage at Ely City Hall with the $25.00 fee.
    • It is necessary to bring the golf cart or ATV to City Hall for a quick visual inspection.
  • Peddlers, Solicitors, and Transient Merchants Applications
    • Looking to sell door-to-door or become a temporary merchandiser? You must fill out the application above and return it to City Hall.

A permit will not be issued until necessary documents and payment is received. Payment can be made in a variety of ways:

Ext. #1

Po Box #248
Ely, Iowa 52227

In Person:
1570 Rowley Street
Ely, Iowa 52227

Via Email:

For assistance or questions contact City of Ely Planning & Zoning Coordinator Mary McGuire at inspector@elyiowa.comor 319-849-5526

For more information regarding Planning & Zoning, please refer to the “planning and zoning page”