1) City Administrator
Ely, Iowa: Estimated Population 2,400. Progressive community in east central Iowa is seeking an energetic leader for the position of city administrator. Salary range is $70,000 to $90,000, depending upon qualifications, with full range of benefits. The city administrator directly oversees all municipal departments, including City Hall, water/wastewater, streets/sanitation, parks & recreation, library, building, zoning and finance, which includes 10 full time employees and an annual operating budget of $2.6 million. The city administrator is also responsible for supervision of contracts, oversight of city property, management of capital improvement projects, and keeping the five-member city council and mayor fully advised of the city’s financial condition and overall future needs. Qualifications include a college degree in public or business administration or related field and 3 or more years’ experience in a public sector management position. Potential candidates may request a community/position profile or view it on the City website HERE. Application materials requested include a cover letter, resume, salary history, and five work and related references.
Applications will be accepted until the position has been filled, with the first review of applications on April 10, 2020. Confidential applications should be sent to Patrick Callahan, c/o Callahan Municipal Consultants, LLC, 417 Kaitlynn Avenue, Anamosa, Iowa 52205 or sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tentative Time Table For Search Process
It is the City’s intent to conclude the search process as expediently as possible with the goal of offering the position to a candidate by May 4. Therefore, candidates are urged to tentatively mark the following dates on their schedules:
- Deadline for applications: April, 9, 2020
- Selections of semi-finalist: April 13
- Telephone/Skype interviews of selected candidates: April 21
- Notification of finalists for the position: April 22
- Candidates’ day to tour the community and meet City Employees, Mayor, and Council Members: May 1
- Mayor & City Council conducts interviews of candidates: May 2
- City Council approval of Offer of Employment: May 4
- Notification to selected candidate: May 5
- Proposed starting date of employment, if mutually agreeable: June 1 or earlier