Permit Application Requirements


Permit Application Requirements

Any owner or owner’s authorized agent who intends to:
  • Construct, enlarge, alter, repair or move
  • Installation of any type of fencing
  • Demolish or change the occupancy of a building or structure
  • Erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, covert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system
  • Driveways and public sidewalks
  • Swimming pool, hot tub or spa’s in place for more than six months out of the year or can hold 5,000 gallons of water or more.
    • NOTE: Any electrical, mechanical and/or fencing requirements to serve the pool, hot tub or spa equipment need a separate electrical, mechanical and/or fencing permit application
  • Urban chicken coop (six chickens allowed per household)
  • Anything whatsoever to do with a flood plain
  • The installation of which is regulated by the IRC Building Codes and/or the City of Ely’s Code of Ordinances, or to cause any such work to be performed, shall first make application to the Building Official and obtain the required permit.


Work Exempt for Permit Application

Work exemption from permit requirements of this code shall not be deemed to grant authorization for any work to be done in any manner in violation of the provisions of this code or any other laws or ordinances of this jurisdiction. Permits shall not be required for the following:

  • Minor maintenance or repair of building exterior including:
    • Trim, siding and deck floor where structural damage has not occurred
    • Gutter replacement
    • Storm door installation or replacement
    • Overhead garage door replacement
    • Detached residential accessory structures (storage sheds) not exceeding 120 sq. ft
    • Rear patios and private sidewalks
    • Swings and other playground equipment
    • Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops, interior trim and similar finish work